According to officiall statement:
Differences between ADW.Launcher and ADWLauncher EX
ADWLauncher EX is based on the ADW.Launcher opensource core with a lot of new additions and improvements, like for example:
* 5 different app drawer styles/behaviors
o 3D Nexus One like application drawer
o 2 different plain vertical drawer styles, the "old one" and a new fast and smooth one
o 2 different iPhone-like horizontal application drawers, a traditional paginated one and a new one with continuous fling
* Different desktop transitions: new animations while navigating through your desktop screens. Try them all, they’re crazy!!!
* New Icons configurations/look and feel: Tweak your desktop icons, change its sizes, add coloured backgrounds, change font size, color, etc!
* New fast presets mode: Quickly change the whole desktop configuration by 1 click!
* Editable desktop icons for applications, shortcuts and folders!
* Lots of code improvements
* More, more more to come!!
That's about the theory, let's get deeper in details.
New menu layout
In EX the menu got new layout, which makes it more user-friendly and intuitive, in standard ADW some options were hard to find, now everything is located in few categories, and it makes user experience much better.
More configure options
In the paid version we finally recieved option to use Nexus-style 3D app drawer, which was requested many times to include in ADW.
We can adjust many things, such as trash can position, icons style, add colored backgrounds for each icon in app drawer (just like in Touch Wiz launcher), and many more with options known from standard ADW.
Got bored with your homescreen animation? Now you can customise even screen transition effect, with one of 8 pre-defined options. Some of them are in my opinion just for fun, but a few of them are quite interesting.
Thanks to refreshed code, the paid version is smoother and faster than the freeware one. ADW Launcher EX is very good competitor for the popular LauncherPro. With the new options and big amount of the themes available, which can make your homescreen even more "yours", it's really good app to use every day.
I give it 4/5